NYLT - National Youth Leadership Training - Accepting Registrations
Session 1: April 8, 2017
Session 2: April 10-14, 2017
Camp Verdugo Oaks
38001 Golden State Highway
Castaic, CA 91384
What is NYLT?
National Youth Leadership Training is an exciting, action-packed program designed to provide youth members of the Boy Scouts of America with leadership skills and experiences they can use in their home unit and in other situations demanding leadership of self and others. This outdoor experience is set up to represent a month in the life of a typical scout unit. Scouts will develop an understanding of group formation and development. They will also have hands-on leadership experiences.
The NYLT course centers on the concepts of:
What a leader must BE
What a leader must KNOW, and
What a leader must DO.
These are taught with a clear focus on how to put these concepts into action. The course will also focus on the EDGE leadership style and SMART goal setting methods.
What Is Its Purpose?
Scouting recognizes that unit leaders have the responsibility of training their own youth leaders. The purpose of National Youth Leadership Training is not to assume that role, but to support it. The objectives of the conference are:
· To enhance the relationship between the participant and his or her unit leader.
· To give participants a toolbox of leadership skills and help them relate these skills to their unit responsibilities.
· To give participants the opportunity to share ideas and experience with scouts from other units.
· To give participants the confidence and knowledge to run the unit program.
· To create an atmosphere where scouts will experience Scouting at its best.
Is the Home Unit Leader Involved?
YES! NYLT is intended to strengthen the relationship between the Youth Leader and his/her Unit leader.
Who May Attend?
Registered Boy Scouts: At least First Class rank, age 13 or older, who have completed ILST within their troop, who have held a position of leadership, and have their parents and Scoutmaster's approval.
Registered Venturers: At least age 14 but not more than 20, who have Venture Officer Training (Crew Officer Orientation or equivalent), who have completed ILSC within their crew, and have their parents and advisor's approval.
Scouts will need to bring a current Health Form, Parts A B and C on the first day of NYLT.
National Youth Leadership Training
National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT) will provide your youth leaders with leadership and team building skills to manage the troop/crew program. The course is organized to teach skills based on:
· A month in the life of a troop/crew, including patrol, unit and team meetings; program, and an outpost trip.
· Patrols/teams experiencing and observing the stages of team development.
· A toolbox of leadership skills including planning, conflict resolution, and evaluation.
Our objective is for the participants to return to their troops/crews with enthusiasm and ideas that will help make their job easier, more fun, and improve the units program and progress.
· Boy Scouts must be thirteen by April 10, 2017 and First Class Rank
· Venturers must be 14 years of age, or 13 years of age and completion of the eighth grade, and have Officer Training by April 10, 2017.
· Must be competent in Scout skills
· Must have participated in Introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops (ILST*) or Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews ( ILSC*).
Important Dates and Course Fee
· By February 28th: Early Bird $225
· March 1st - March 31st: Regular Price $250
· April 1st - April 7th: Late Fee $275
· April 5th - Parent Orientation - 6:30PM
· April 8th - Session 1 - 8:00AM to 5:00PM
· April 10th: Participants arrive, 12:00 PM
· April 14th: Closing Ceremony and BBQ, 4:30 PM
· April 14th: Participants Depart, 5:30 PM
Course fee covers meals, program binder, course T-shirt and program supplies. Return registration forms & payment to the Southern Sierra Council at 2417 M St. Bakersfield, CA 93301. Online registration is available through . Information will be sent to participants and parents 2 weeks prior to course start.
Questions may be referred to:
Course Director: Jerry McAbee (661) 703-8818
How much does NYLT Cost?
$225 Registration if paid in full on or before February 28, 2017
$250 Registration if paid in full on or before March 31, 2017
$275 Late Registration. Must be paid in full April 7, 2017
This course fee covers meals, program binder, course T-shirt, program supplies and insurance.
Flier can be found HERE.
A deposit of $50 is due at the time the registration form is turned in.